DeadSkirts 12 Years Online! Forum Index DeadSkirts 12 Years Online!
Email Deadskirts@gmail.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January 12, 2010....Only 8 Years Ago...Know What Happened?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DeadSkirts 12 Years Online! Forum Index -> ALL TOPIC Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandi

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: January 12, 2010....Only 8 Years Ago...Know What Happened? Reply with quote

Port-au-Prince, Haiti......earthquake......death toll more than 230,000 human beings. Nearly a quarter of a MILLION people!

Some remember........others never really cared.

I'm not certain how many know that date, but I know one specific American who does not, or, if knowing, certainly feels no pain for the Haitians.

My multi-month absence from the boards is purely due to 'no time' to post or email or reply (said with very sincere apologies to those few to whom I 'owe' replies and such.....they will come, but like some of us on other levels, who knows when?...lol) nor introduce 'discussion topics', but this week changed that and I will make one post......

, as our family of 4 has become a family of 14 for 4 months now, as a Hispanic family of 5 and an African American family of 5, from 100% destroyed homes in St. Marten and Barbuda, have been sharing the converted barn on our property, about 50 yards from our main house.

All of we Original Four, that includes a 15 year old daughter and a 16 year old son, agree that none of us have ever been happier.....and to have the two Young Adult teens at their own demand give up the freedom of their own huge 'playhouse' and along with help from many Others move many heavy objects, build new walls, and much more.....having it
begun by the Teens and embraced and aided hugely by their friends (!!) makes the two Parent members quite happy.

A Community can do incredible things when united behind the principles of Love and Help. And our 'community' here has been superlative in coming together with all kinds of help.

Our extended family are all U.S. citizens, and both males are already working, one works with horses, the other works with mechanical things. The sharing of cultures and family traditions through the holidays, etc., has been beyond fantastic. We keep our house unlocked and they all respect our upstairs and know they have free access to the downstairs and anything they need. Privacy has been lost in many areas (and that affects my inability to post or email...lol) but they're welcome here as long as they wish and will likely be here until end of school year at least. Ok, there's no more big dining room because that's where the ping pong and pool table went....lol....etc etc for the exercise equipment in this room and that one.....all good, makes us smile every day.

There are various ways to help those in need and who are 'less fortunate' and those who try to do those things find that the rewards are priceless in terms of their own growth, also. Each of these families had basically put 'all their resources' into sending their Eldest to the U.S. for education, their also 15 year old daughter and 16 year old son...who arrived (not at our place) as exchange students with the first day of school two DAYS before the hurricane hit. Now, due to 'fate', they likely will never return to their original homelands and will educate their other 4 children here. Two hard-working families. Two very good and close families who understand work and commitment....and Love.

So people can reach out......

Or....those very downtrodden people can be ridiculed unforgivably in a public manner.

We made our choice long ago. And it was our Young Adults who made that decision this time, as each had one of the exchange students in their class. They saw trouble brewing for the families, united and the rest is current 'history'....lol.

So did those who disparage such loving and equal human beings whom they see as 'different', make their choices long ago, and continue with horrible words that only define themselves for what they are.

One can run...but one cannot hide...from one's own words.

No further comments nor replies from me. I just cannot get involved in replies and such, sorry, but felt compelled to post.

Peace out.

Very Happy

Sandi
Geno

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Sandi it good to see. I can tell you how much we missed. So sorry you are not like likely to follow up with this topic this time around. However it is good to know that you are out there. I did not email because I figure you were thinking. "Geno I will e-mail and get back on track at my own paste."

You mention 8 years ago. that would put it a January 2012. No I did not recall any major news event that early in the year. There is no natural disaster that can kill more people in a short period of time than a EARTHQUAKE. The great China Earthquake of 1976 killed 240,000 people. Unbelievable.

You and you husband and children are really putting up and effort to take in people to your home during time of disaster to. You are to be commended on that. )))

Sincerely Geno
xj900

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Sandi, great to see you back on here once more! clapping

Err, Geno, there was a massive earthquake in Haiti back in 2010, about a month or so after an equally disastrous hurricane

https://www.britannica.com/event/Haiti-earthquake-of-2010

Nobody will know the total number of deaths as most of the island was still cut off and destroyed by the hurricane. Some estimates put it as high as 300,000 but others say it was lower as the hurricane had already killed thousands of Haitans.
Geno

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I remember. I was looking at the wrong year. Tired I guess. It was 2010. It is scary how time flies. sad
DavidP

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandi renews my faith in humanity somewhat. I know there are those who would gladly give what they have to help those that are so much more in need then they are. Some people give time, some give money, some, such as Sandy, give up part of their life and I would rwach out with heartfelt thanks and humbleness to your sacrifices for the better good.

<3
justjoe

PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo, Sandi. No more need be said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DeadSkirts 12 Years Online! Forum Index -> ALL TOPIC Board All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: